This boy went ahead and turned 18 today.
This not-so-long-ago little baby boy of mine who towers over me is a real, bonafide adult as of today.
And I have to list my eighteen things I adore about this kid that are making my heart bust wide open.
(So please excuse the continuation of my gushing.)
1) I adore his quick wit. He has the best, most clever one-liners that make us crack up.
2) He loves his sisters. And their love is ever evident with how their eyes light up when he's around.
3) He's low-key and low-maintenance.
4) He takes himself lightly.
5) He is smart. He's the best homework helper we've got.
6) He's got a great memory. I loved traveling around Asia with him and hearing him spill out little snippets of info. he learned in some history or geography class ages ago.
7) He's mellow. He doesn't get all fussed up about things (which is a very good example to his mother).
8) Even though he's mellow, he does have some fire in him (as evidenced by a few broken things here and there) which I hope helps him go places in life. Everyone's gotta have a little fire, right?
9) I love his smile and excitement when I cook one of his favorite things.
10) He is awesome with kids. I loved watching him with them climbing all over him in India and when we're with friends with small kids.
11) He is kind. This is one of my favorite pictures of all time because you can just seen the kindness and concern oozing out of him:
(I'm sure I've shared those somewhere before, but they're my favs.)
12) I love his spiritual mind. He can come up with a spiritual thought or scripture to share at the drop of a hat. This, to me, shows me his mind is focused on what's right.
13) He makes good decisions.
14) He chooses good friends.
15) He has a very unique sense of style (or lack of it :) and doesn't care one whit what anyone else thinks of it.
16) He gets good grades and works hard at school (that is, until "senioritis" hit this last semester).
17) I know I've written this before, but I love that he's not embarrassed to give me a hug or tell me he loves me in front of his friends (at least he doesn't SHOW that he is!).
18) Even though he loves being home, he's always up for an adventure.
And one more to grow on: He loves the Savior and has a growing, blossoming testimony of the Atonement. I think his spirit and good heart and soul are squished in that big body. Yes, he's big, but his love and kindness are bigger.
Love you baby.
(birthday festivities are HERE)