Thursday, May 28, 2009

summer so far

We've brought in summer with a bang. I just barely got my first chance to sit down and skim through the e-mails plugging up this computer. This was our day today:

5:00 a.m. -- wake up with Dave's alarm and feel glad I get to sleep longer instead of going with him to the gym...I've got some maneuvering to do to try to get my kids situated in their swim/dive teams

6:08 a.m. -- wake up for real to get Elle out the door for dive team

6:30 a.m. -- finish finagling my sweet-talking to get Elle into the older dive team class so she can be with her friends even though she missed the age deadline by a couple months

6:45 a.m. -- come home and do P90X since I can't seem to make it to the gym to save my soul these days

7:30 a.m. -- get the remaining things moved out of the living room for the painters coming to paint today, rummage up some bagels to feed the hungry mouths in line for breakfast

8:00 a.m. -- get Grace & Claire over to swim/dive team, and arrange for them to get home safe since I can't stay

8:25 a.m. -- scramble to take a two-minute shower, get Lucy up, dressed, and fed, and get Elle and her friend to stake conference singing practice

8:45 a.m. -- drop the girls off to singing practice 15 minutes late...head to Lucy's ultrasound appointment

8:52 a.m. -- arrive at doctor office, do a quick hairdo on Lu in her car seat so she looks reasonably presentable

8:53 a.m. -- realize I forgot her shoes (at least it was hers and not mine)

8:54 a.m. -- lug her on my hip to the door of the doctor's office and realize I'm at the wrong doctor's office...the one I need to go to is around the block.

Wait, did I just really admit that?? I'm telling you right here and now I'm losing it. Wait, I think I already said that too.

9:01 a.m. -- arrive at the right doctor (supposed to be there at 8:45 but luckily they're nice and don't give me and my shoe-less girl the evil eye).

9:04 a.m. -- wait in waiting room...get Lucy all fascinated with the big blue plastic dog there so I can clear my brain enough to realize I forgot my phone. Hope with all my heart my sis-in-law got there ok to pick up Grace and Claire after swim/dive team and that she wasn't trying to reach me as I sat with Lu and the blue dog

9:15 a.m. -- go into ultrasound, prep the tech by warning her that Lu does NOT like doctors and that our last try at an ultrasound was a complete disaster.

9:20 a.m. -- realize this is going to be o.k. Lucy is laying on my lap in rapture over the Barbie movie playing in front of her in the dark coolness of the room surrounding her. Feel this wave of love wash over me as I watch her long eyelashes flutter in movie-concentration. My heart starts to slow down after all the stress of knowing this just wasn't going to work.

I'm so happy I was wrong.

9:30 a.m. -- the ultrasound tech informs me, after asking a bunch of strange questions about Lucy's health, etc., that Lucy's insides are flipped...meaning they're all on the "wrong" side. Her liver, gall bladder, spleen, etc. are all in the opposite place from where they should be. Hmmm. She also informs me this is something that should have been caught in-utero. Hmmmm again.

The tech also informs me that I shouldn't be alarmed. I'm not...but I have to admit it's a little unnerving to find out that your child's insides are not where they should be.

10:03 a.m. -- let Lucy ride on the big blue plastic dog I've been bribing her with in there for the last hour, go home to check on the painter who's doing a wonderful job transforming our living room

10:30 a.m. -- fold laundry left over from being out of town, mop sticky floor

11:00 a.m. -- speech therapy, Lu's doing so great

11:55 a.m. -- head out late to Stake Primary lunch meeting, remember all the stuff I've been letting slip since the kids got out of school and we've been living it up. Stress out a little bit.

1:20 p.m. -- come home and make doctor calls and other calls associated with our new "hanger in the works": Lucy's interesting anatomy...glad I already have her echo cardiogram and nephrologist (kidney) appointments scheduled.

Now I gotta go wake up Lu from her nap for the next round of therapists arriving in five minutes.

So far summer's been busy, but it's stuff I choose to do, not what school and homework and lessons force us into. Man I sound a little negative about the school year. I'm very grateful for school, teachers, etc. I just love the freedom of summer though.

And I like to be in charge.

We've had the greatest time at our friends' cabin and on a little mom/daughter get-away while Max is at scout camp. But boy howdy we're missing him.

Pictures later.
Related Posts with Thumbnails